Communication theory is a multidisciplinar and complex domain.
In "Communication Theory as a Field" , for example, Robert T Craig proposes seven traditions of communication theory with their own way of understanding communication:
- Rhetorical: views communication as the practical art of discourse.
- Semiotic: views communication as the mediation by signs.
- Phenomenological: communication is the experience of dialogue with others.
- Cybernetic: communication is the flow of information.
- Socio-psychological: communication is the interaction of individuals.
- Socio-cultural: communication is the production and reproduction of the social order.
- Critical: communication is the process in which all assumptions can be challenged
I am sure many of these traditions will be present in the speaker's presentations.
February, 15th 2017